Monday, June 26, 2006

Quiet Please!

How is it that we can't wait for our children to begin talking and when they do, we want them to be quiet? I couldn't wait for Priss to start really communicating with me. I had these wonderful fantasies of long conversations and in depth explanations of life's mysteries. (Have I mentioned yet that she was my first and I was completely clueless?) I was so excited when she started putting more and more words together, finally forming sentences that I could understand! Asking me questions about things and being truly curious about the world around her. I still lived with these ideas of somewhat "grown-up" talks. Dun dun dun.....and the questions came. And came and came and came. Now, I don't wish to hamper her excitement and curiousity, I just want some silence! Some peace and quiet. My favorite question is (when it is the two of us riding in the car), "is daddy here?" No honey daddy isn't here, he's at work. "why?" Because that's where he has to be on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, you get the point. "Oh ok. Is Noni here?" No Chloe, Noni is not here. "Where is she?" Probably working, Chloe. "Is Uncle Chuckles here?" and I am reduced to "Do you see him here?" "no mommy" Then he's not here, Chloe." And so we go through the role call of everyone she knows. Argh....Really, I'm not bitching. I'm very proud of her language skills and her intelligence, and like I said before I DO NOT WANT TO HAMPER her excitement for learning but geez does it have to be all waking hours?
Needless to say I am attemting to prolong the "baby" stages with my son. Not really so that I won't have two of them asking me thousands of questions, but because I need him to be a baby longer than she was. My last child, I want it to linger for a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Smoochy said...

I bet you mom is enjoying this thoroughly! Pay backs are a bitch! Do you really think this is your last baby? I see you with a brood. ;-)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

He's our last biological child but we will adopt after a few years. Maybe one or two kids....I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
And yes, my mom thinks this is wonderful! Pay backs are a bitch...You know, she said she believes Chloe is more determined than I was. Scary right?

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home